Un Interesting Blog 
                                             Some thoughts...

Thursday, May 13, 2004

The Art of Living - Warning - A tad philosophical
Whenever I come across a self proclaimed spiritual organisation, I can't help thinking how gullible people can be. Shady gurus and their shady congregations. More often than not, you are required to make a hefty donation (which supposedly is going to be used for some charity work) and listen to the guru's monologue, hoping to obtain some gyan in the process.
An elaborate sham.

So, when I first heard about "the Art of Living", I was, naturally, quite sceptical.
what the hell can they tell you that you dont already know?
A couple of friends had attended their weekend course earlier, coming back to say that they had had an amazing experience. Truly worth going through once.
This time around, the course was being conducted in the company premises itself, and more importantly, free of cost! What the heck...lets give it a shot
So Prerna and I enrolled for the course. If nothing else, it is going to be good relaxation!

At the very start of the course, they tell you that you should not expect to get anything from the course. Absolutely nothing.
Strange...where people promise you the world and deliver nothing, these guys are doing just the opposite!
After six days of funny games, discussions on moral values, stories, light exercises, the Sudarshan Kriya and singing, did we gain anything? Hmm...hard to tell.

It is a realisation.
A realisation that the happiness you seek is really within you. It is upto you to see it, or seek happiness elsewhere. Would I be happy if I got everything that I desire right now? When will I be really happy? It is not about money. It is about you. And the people you love. Be yourself. Dont worry too much about what others think. Do what your heart tells you.

We knew all this before!
Of course you did. But did you ever give it much thought? Life will just go by, and one day you will realise that you have not done anything that YOU wanted.

The message is quite simple. It is all in our own hands.

The best thing I liked about The Art of Living, was that there was no religion funda. Nothing at all. People were enjoying themselves - not carrying out meaningless tasks and rites to appease God. There were no pretentions.
Today, work and social pressures are such that we are losing our sense of balance. We have our priorites all mixed up. We have forgotten the art of living.

P.S: this post is in no way an advertisement for the Art of Living Course! I just meant to say that I enjoyed it. :-)

6 Comments:

  • Hey btw it was for 6 days and not 3. And yeah you are right, its just that such courses make you think about thinks which you have neglected all this while.
    -Prerna

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:39 PM  

  • Skeptical about all this as I am, I do concur (upon hearing everyone's opinion) that the art of living is indeed an experience worth going through. However, I still do not find the enthu to join it.

    By Blogger Somshubhra, at 8:29 PM  

  • corrected that prerna! :-)
    and som, I agree with you...generating enthu for anything out of the ordinary is quite difficult.. :-)
    and as I said, this post is not meant to ask you to go through the course.

    By Blogger Ashish, at 9:15 AM  

  • wrong ashish.
    i was talking about enthu about joining art of living.
    but its not really difficult to generate enthu for anything out of the ordinary. in fact it is quite easy. keeping the enthu up is the difficult part.

    By Blogger Somshubhra, at 10:59 AM  

  • hmm. good for you!

    By Blogger Ashish, at 1:01 PM  

  • A friend of mine told me about this post.
    I'm not surprised by what you wrote; tho' I haven't attended any single course, I've heard from people about its exact nature and hence even if I'm a disbeliever of all such things I approve this "Art of living" courses.
    Nevertheless, I have but one comment to make:
    "It's a pity that people need Art of living kind of courses, instead of realizing all these on their own"

    By Blogger Aparna, at 7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home